Monday, June 20, 2011

Chambers Stove Love

This is my early 1950's Chambers Model C stove. The stove that cooks with the gas turned off. Over time I have accumulated some of the special cookware designed for the thermowell. (thermowell is the lid on the back right) The one piece that I wanted to find was a Thermobaker. According to the literature put out by Chambers a Thermobaker would turn the thermowell into another oven. I found a Thermobaker on ebay. It didn't have the rack but I found one that fit at the hardware store and I was ready to bake.



This is the Thermobaker with a Wilton 8" cake pan. I made a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting for my husband's birthday.



I followed the directions in the Chambers cookbook. After preheating the thermowell for 5 minutes I put the cake in and put the lid back on. Then I kept the gas on for 15 minutes. After another 15 minutes with the gas off the cake was ready to come out.



It looked a little overdone so the next one I took out a few minutes sooner.



They looked a little dark around the edge but they were still moist and came out of the pan easily.



The finished cake with peanut butter frosting and peanut butter cups. The cake was a hit and I am looking forward to baking in the well again.


























1 comment:

  1. Very interested to see that it works with the Wilton pan. I will have to get one and try this out.

    ReplyDelete